Diese Website verwendet Cookies, damit wir dir die bestmögliche Benutzererfahrung bieten können. Cookie-Informationen werden in deinem Browser gespeichert und führen Funktionen aus, wie das Wiedererkennen von dir, wenn du auf unsere Website zurückkehrst, und hilft unserem Team zu verstehen, welche Abschnitte der Website für dich am interessantesten und nützlichsten sind.
Unraveling Shadows: The Compelling Tale of The Long Goodbye
12. Oktober 2023Nächste Episode
Chapter 1:what is The Long Goodbye about
"The Long Goodbye" is a detective novel written by Raymond Chandler, featuring his iconic protagonist, Philip Marlowe. The plot revolves around a series of interconnected events that Marlowe becomes entangled in.
The story begins when Marlowe meets Terry Lennox, a wealthy and troubled war veteran. They develop a friendship, and Marlowe becomes involved in Lennox's complicated personal life. When Lennox's wife is found dead, he disappears, leaving Marlowe as the prime suspect.
Marlowe learns that Lennox's wife was involved in an affair and may have been blackmailing powerful individuals. As he digs deeper into the case, Marlowe uncovers a web of corruption, deceit, and betrayal that stretches beyond the murder of Lennox's wife.
Throughout the investigation, Marlowe encounters various characters, including a corrupt police detective, a wealthy publisher with a dark secret, an alcoholic writer, and a nightclub owner. Marlowe's relentless pursuit of the truth puts him in danger and tests his loyalty to his friends.
The novel explores themes of disillusionment, morality, and the corrupt nature of society. It is known for its complex plot, vivid characters, and Chandler's signature hard-boiled writing style.
Chapter 2:Author of The Long Goodbye
Raymond Chandler, born on July 23, 1888, was an American novelist and screenwriter. He is best known for his influential works in the crime fiction genre, particularly for his creation of the iconic detective Philip Marlowe. Chandler's most famous novel, "The Long Goodbye," was published in 1953 and is often regarded as one of the best examples of hardboiled detective fiction.
Chandler's writing style captivated readers with its vivid descriptions, sharp dialogue, and gritty portrayal of post-World War II Los Angeles. His stories often portrayed a corrupt and morally ambiguous society, with Marlowe navigating through the seedy underbelly of the city. Chandler's complex plots and atmospheric settings have had a lasting impact on the crime fiction genre and influenced numerous authors who followed in his footsteps.
Before becoming an acclaimed writer, Chandler had a varied career. He worked as a civil servant, an oil executive, and a journalist, which exposed him to different facets of society and provided him with ample material to draw upon for his novels. Chandler began writing later in life, and "The Big Sleep," his first novel featuring Philip Marlowe, was published in 1939. He went on to write several other Marlowe novels and numerous short stories, further establishing himself as a master of the genre.
Chandler's writing not only captivated readers but also attracted the attention of Hollywood. Many of his works were adapted into successful films, further popularizing his characters and stories. Chandler himself became involved in the film industry, working as a screenwriter and polishing screenplays for well-known movies like "Double Indemnity."
Raymond Chandler's contribution to crime fiction and the detective genre cannot be overstated. His works continue to be celebrated for their unparalleled storytelling, vivid characters, and gritty portrayal of a corrupt society. Chandler's influence can be seen in countless detective novels, films, and television shows, making him an enduring figure in literature.
Chapter 3:why is The Long Goodbye worth reading
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler is widely regarded as one of the greatest crime novels ever written, and there are several compelling reasons why it is considered worth reading:
- Chandler's Writing Style: Chandler is known for his exceptional writing style. His prose is sophisticated, witty, and full of vivid descriptions. He paints a vibrant picture of 1940s Los Angeles, creating an immersive atmosphere that truly brings the story to life.
- Complex Characters: The Long Goodbye features one of Chandler's most memorable characters, private detective Philip Marlowe. Marlowe is a complex and multi-dimensional protagonist, a knight-errant with his own moral code. He is a sharp observer of society and often acts as a social critic, making the novel more than just a detective story.
- Engrossing Plot: The novel masterfully weaves together a complex and gripping plot. Chandler skillfully blends elements of crime, mystery, and psychological depth, creating a narrative that keeps readers guessing until the very end. The story is filled with unexpected twists, turns, and moments of suspense that make it difficult to put the book down.
- Exploration of Themes: The Long Goodbye tackles various thematic elements that elevate it beyond a typical crime novel. Chandler delves into topics such as corruption, loyalty, friendship, betrayal, and identity. These deeper explorations provide readers with more than just a thrilling detective story; they offer an insightful reflection on human nature.
- Influence on the Genre: Chandler's writing has had a profound impact on the crime and detective genre. The Long Goodbye, in particular, is an influential work that has inspired many subsequent authors. It introduced the archetype of the hard-boiled detective with a strong moral compass, setting the standard for detective fiction and shaping the genre for future generations.
In summary, The Long Goodbye is worth reading because it showcases Raymond Chandler's remarkable writing style, features a compelling and complex protagonist, offers a gripping plot filled with suspense, explores deeper thematic elements, and has had a lasting impact on the crime and detective genre.
Chapter 4: Books like The Long Goodbye
- The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler: This is another classic detective novel featuring Raymond Chandler's iconic private detective, Philip Marlowe.
- Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler: This is another Philip Marlowe mystery, where the detective takes on a case involving a missing woman and a stolen necklace.
- The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett: Considered a masterpiece of noir fiction, this novel follows detective Sam Spade as he gets entangled in a convoluted chase for a valuable statuette.
- The Black Echo by Michael Connelly: In this first book of the Harry Bosch series, a Vietnam War veteran turned LAPD detective, Bosch investigates two seemingly unrelated cases that lead him to a world of crime and betrayal.
- The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins: Set in the criminal underworld of Boston, this novel explores the life of Eddie Coyle, an aging small-time criminal, as he navigates the treacherous world of organized crime.
- The Killing Floor by Lee Child: This first book in the Jack Reacher series follows ex-military policeman Jack Reacher as he investigates a murder in the small town of Margrave, Georgia.
- Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley: Set in the 1940s, this novel introduces Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins, an African-American World War II veteran turned private detective, as he gets involved in a complex case of murder, politics, and racial tensions.
- The Underground Man by Ross Macdonald: This novel features private detective Lew Archer, who is hired to find a missing oil tycoon's estranged son but soon finds himself entangled in a web of family secrets and deception.
- The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley: This gritty and hard-boiled novel follows detective C.W. Sughrue on a journey filled with violence, sex, and self-discovery as he searches for a missing writer.
- A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton: This is the first book in the Kinsey Millhone series, featuring a female private detective who takes on a case involving a cheating husband and a murder that occurred years ago.
Du möchtest deinen Podcast auch kostenlos hosten und damit Geld verdienen?
Dann schaue auf www.kostenlos-hosten.de und informiere dich.
Dort erhältst du alle Informationen zu unseren kostenlosen Podcast-Hosting-Angeboten. kostenlos-hosten.de ist ein Produkt der Podcastbude.
Gern unterstützen wir dich bei deiner Podcast-Produktion.
+++Werbung+++ Jetzt im neuen Jahr besser füttern mit biologisch artgerechtem Rohfutter von BARFER’S. Für Deinen Hund oder Deine Katze mit 10 % Rabatt mit dem Gutscheincode „PODCAST10“. https://www.barfers-wellfood.de/
- 00:00 Kapitel 1
Wähle deinen Podcatcher oder kopiere den Link: