Diese Website verwendet Cookies, damit wir dir die bestmögliche Benutzererfahrung bieten können. Cookie-Informationen werden in deinem Browser gespeichert und führen Funktionen aus, wie das Wiedererkennen von dir, wenn du auf unsere Website zurückkehrst, und hilft unserem Team zu verstehen, welche Abschnitte der Website für dich am interessantesten und nützlichsten sind.
Freakonomics: Unraveling the Hidden Side of Economics
2. November 2023Nächste Episode
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything is a book written by economist Steven D. Levitt and journalist Stephen J. Dubner. The book takes a unique and unconventional approach to examining various aspects of society and human behavior, applying economic principles and data analysis to understand the hidden motives and incentives behind them.
The book is structured into several chapters, each exploring different topics and presenting surprising and thought-provoking findings. One chapter, for example, examines the economics of drug dealing, challenging common beliefs about the profitability and organization of the illegal drug trade. Levitt and Dubner argue that, contrary to popular belief, most drug dealers make very low wages and engage in the activity primarily due to lack of better opportunities.
Another chapter delves into the controversial topic of abortion and its impact on crime rates. The authors present a correlation between the legalization of abortion in the 1970s and the subsequent decrease in crime rates in the 1990s. They argue that unwanted children have a higher likelihood of engaging in criminal activities, and therefore, a decrease in their birth rates contributed to a decrease in crime.
The book also explores the impact of parenting styles on children's outcomes, revealing that factors such as a child's name or parents' socioeconomic status have less influence than commonly believed. The authors argue that it is the quality of parenting and the values instilled in children that have the greatest impact on their success.
Freakonomics challenges conventional wisdom and encourages readers to think critically about the world around them. Through the lens of economic analysis and data, the authors present a fresh perspective and offer counterintuitive explanations for various social phenomena. Overall, the book aims to shed light on the hidden side of everyday life and provoke readers to question common assumptions.
- "Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work, whereas economics represents how it actually does work." - Steven D. Levitt
- "Incentives are the cornerstone of modern life." - Steven D. Levitt
- "What unites all the chapters of Freakonomics is the belief that the most powerful force behind many everyday events is economics in its most basic form: incentives." - Steven D. Levitt
- "People will always take the path of least resistance, even if it means not acting in their own best interest." - Steven D. Levitt
- "The power of economics comes from the fact that economics is a science of thinking in terms of models joined to the art of choosing models which are relevant to the contemporary world." - Friedrich Hayek (quoted in Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner)
- "Conventional wisdom is often wrong." -Steven D. Levitt
- "The conventional wisdom is often a series of biases and misconceptions disguised as insights." - Steven D. Levitt
- "The best ideas come from exposing yourself to the best examples of the best work being done." - Steven D. Levitt
- "The world is a complex place, and the influence of any given factor on any other given factor is almost never obvious." - Steven D. Levitt
- "An incentive is a bullet, a key: an often tiny object with astonishing power to change a situation." - Steven D. Levitt
Freakonomics is generally considered a good book. It provides a refreshing and unique approach to economics, using various unconventional case studies and data analysis to explore the hidden side of human behavior and societal issues. The book has gained widespread acclaim for its engaging writing style, thought-provoking content, and the way it challenges conventional wisdom. However, individual opinions may vary, and some readers may not resonate with the book's particular style or subject matter.
Du möchtest deinen Podcast auch kostenlos hosten und damit Geld verdienen?
Dann schaue auf www.kostenlos-hosten.de und informiere dich.
Dort erhältst du alle Informationen zu unseren kostenlosen Podcast-Hosting-Angeboten. kostenlos-hosten.de ist ein Produkt der Podcastbude.
Gern unterstützen wir dich bei deiner Podcast-Produktion.
+++Werbung+++ Jetzt im neuen Jahr besser füttern mit biologisch artgerechtem Rohfutter von BARFER’S. Für Deinen Hund oder Deine Katze mit 10 % Rabatt mit dem Gutscheincode „PODCAST10“. https://www.barfers-wellfood.de/
- 00:00 Kapitel 1
Wähle deinen Podcatcher oder kopiere den Link: